Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Reflections 2013 Feature Show


I am Feature Artist at the Art Sales & Rental Gallery at The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, for the month of February. I've titled the show Reflections . I've always been fascinated by how water distorts objects reflected. I wanted to try and capture that in Acrylic. Below  is my artist statement and works in my show. If interested please contact the gallery at (902) 424-3087 or email at artsalesandrental@gmail.com 



Dijon Curley

REFLECTIONS

Artist Statement

I have always loved painting landscapes, from old barns on rolling hills to fishing sheds in evening light. Recently I have wanted to try an entirely new subject matter. For years I have been fascinated with water and how objects reflect on it; the shapes and movement almost take on an abstract quality.

Including water in my work has always intimidated me,  until I remembered my parents, being artists themselves, telling me how water like everything else has structure and form. Keeping this in mind, instead of painting water to look like water, I have focused on painting the abstract shapes and how it reflects objects.

In this new series of works I wanted to concentrate on the movement of the reflections rather than the objects themselves. This allows the viewer to decide what they see and imagine or take them to a place that allows an emotional reflection.



(click on any image to open a new window showing a larger picture)






Water Lily is the largest work in the show.  I loved painting this piece, it's my very first attempt at painting a flower. I loved how the reflection played in the water. This painting and the next one are the only two works to have structure in them. I then wanted to concentrate on the reflections alone.  40 x 30 Acrylic on Gallery Canvas.






Morning Harbour Reflection is the last work with any structure in it. I loved the warm light on the bow of the boat. 30 x 30, Acrylic on Gallery Canvas.
Sold







 Lunenburg Reflections 2 is a second study of one I did a few months ago , Lunenburg Reflections  This time I just wanted to rework the reflection in a second study. 30 x 30, Acrylic on Gallery Canvas.







 Haligonian Reflection is the first of the works with no structure in it. This was fun to paint. Loosen up a bit, I enjoyed painting this one. 24 x 30 Acrylic on Gallery Canvas.
Sold






Reflection #1 captivated me with the greens and blues and the angle of the ripple. Fun painting this piece. 18 x 24, Acrylic on Gallery Canvas.





Reflection #2 really helped me loosen up when painting and wanted to capture that sharp yet soft, blurry shapes created . 18 x 24, Acrylic on Gallery Canvas.






Reflection #3 was that golden sun setting light that almost looks unreal. Completely different palette.  20 x 10, Acrylic on Gallery Canvas.
Sold





Reflection # 4 was a nice study of another idea for a larger piece someday, love the swirls & red. 10 x 10, Acrylic on Gallery Canvas.
Sold


No comments: